E-biking & mountain biking at Lake Millstatt
E-biking and mountain biking are growing in popularity. Cycling in general is one of the best ways to explore any new holiday region. Cycling tours, whatever the type, also keep you fit and in a good mood. A wide range of biking options await during a holiday at Lake Millstatt: from cycle tracks along the banks of the lake, following a flat course or gentle incline to cycling tours through the Nockberge peaks and challenging summit tours – no wish remains unfulfilled here! And thanks to the mild climate to the south of the Alps, you can explore the mountains of Carinthia by bike right though until October.
Good to know: Well-maintained hire bikes can be rented directly from the Hotel am See****Die Forelle. E-bikes are also available to hire from the hotel. You can store your own bikes securely at the hotel in a covered area. There is even a bike washing station available.
Bike benefits for Forelle guests – an overview
During a holiday at the Hotel am See****Die Forelle, you can take advantage of numerous biking benefits and we have compiled a brief overview here:
- Covered parking spots for your bike at the hotel
- Hotel’s own washing station for bikes
- Modern bikes for hire at the hotel
- E-bikes for hire at hotel (subject to availability) or at the sport shop on-site
- Tour network of over 43 biking trails around the hotel
- Wide range of biking opportunities between the lake and mountains
- Personal tour tips provided by the host family
- Guided bike tours via the Mountainbike Station Graf, just a few metres from the hotel
- And much more
Tour tips for leisurely e-biking & cycle tours
Be inspired by our tour tips. Whether by e-bike or mountain bike – the numerous different biking routes around the Hotel am See****Die Forelle offer plenty of variety in Carinthia. What’s your favourite? The leisurely route along Lake Millstatt or the sporty trail through the Nockberge mountains?
Gegendtal cycle path: through the idyllic Gegendtal from Lake Millstatt to Villach
- Length: 45 km
- Connecting point: Döbriach at Millstätter See
- Route: cycle path alongside the road, on the road in parts
- Characteristics: beautiful idyllic valley with traditional architecture, past 2 small lakes (Brennsee, Afritzsee)
- Difficulty: easy (downhill) but on the road in parts
Drau cycle path – Carinthia’s longest river cycle path
- Length: 366 km (from Italy to Slovenia)
- Connecting point: Spittal an der Drau
- Route towards Villach: partially asphalt side streets (around Spittal an der Drau), then gravel cycle path along the banks of the river Drau (return journey by train possible)
- Route towards Oberdrauburg: asphalt quiet side streets through idyllic villages to Berg im Drautal, asphalt and gravel cycle path along the banks of the river Drau (return journey by train possible)
- Characteristics: largely directly along the banks of the river Drau, idyllic route
- Difficulty: easy towards Villach, medium towards Oberdrauburg (you can take the train and shorten the route at any time)
Lake Millstatt cycle path – circular route around Lake Millstatt
- Length: 29 km from the hotel
- Route: asphalt cycle path on the northern banks, gravel tracks along the southern banks
Characteristics: partially along the road on the northern banks, right by the lake in parts, on the southern banks somewhat above the lake with impressive panoramic views
Difficulty: medium on the southern banks, medium on the northern banks (the cycle route can be shortened by taking the bike ferry)
Mountain biking in the Nockberge mountains
If you decide to go mountain biking in the Nochberge mountains, you can look forward to a truly special experience in nature. You will get to know Lake Millstatt from a fascinating angle. The various bike routes largely run through the UNESCO Nockberge Biosphere Park with dreamy views of Lake Millstatt. In total, there are 43 well-developed mountain biking tours for you to explore. The Nockbike biking map, available on-site, provides detailed information about the individual tours. Or you can use the interactive Carinthia tour portal.
Top infrastructure for e-bikers & mountain bikers in Carinthia
Your cycling tours will be made even easier thanks to the existence of top infrastructure for e-bikers and mountain bikers. In addition to the endless well-signposted cycle paths, there are also e-bike charging stations along the way and tours can be shortened by taking your bike across on a boat crossing. Not to mention the many cosy stop-off points around the lake where you can enjoy a refreshment break – a welcome energy boost and reward.
Panorama tour Lake Millstatt
- Starting point: Döbriach, follow the asphalt road towards Glanz, Mooswald-Gschriet to the Gasthof Bergfried – magnificent panoramic views of Lake Millstatt and the Nockberge National Park. Return via the Brugger-Hütte, to the Thurnerhof in Feld am See, Radenthein along the Riegerbach back to Lake Millstatt in Döbriach.
- Total route length: 24.4 km
- Elevation gain: 550 m
- Biking time: approx. 3–4 hours
- Difficulty rating: medium-difficult
- Terrain: Asphalt road – gravel road – forest trail – short trial route
Bike tour around the Wilde-Mann-Stein
- Starting point: Döbriach, visitor information centre, up to Starfach and along the footpath to the Wilde-Mann-Stein. From here, continue on towards Sappl, up to the riding school. Past the riding school towards Matzelsdorf. Then up to the Matzelsdorferhof. Turn off towards Starfach. Follow the same route back via Starfach to the starting point. Stop-off points & bike shop available.
- Total route length: 7.7 km
- Elevation gain: 240 m
- Biking time: approx. 2 hours
- Difficulty rating: medium (however 1st part – 1km – very steep)
- Terrain: predominantly gravel road, asphalt road
Lake Millstatt southern banks tour
- Starting point: Seeboden Fishery Museum, along the banks of the river, up to the Peterlebauernhof, on to the Laggerhof, past the boat station, up through the town of Glanz, back down towards Ferndorf, past the Gasthof Lagger and through the area towards Brodprenten, Egelsee and after a tricky trial section, back to Seeboden.
- Total route length: 34.1 km
- Elevation gain: 780 m
- Biking time: approx. 3–4 hours
- Difficulty rating: medium
- Terrain: 50 % forest roads, 50 % asphalt trails, a few trial sections
Well-deserved relaxation after the bike tour
Back at the Hotel am See****Die Forelle, the hotel’s own beach is the perfect place to relax. This well-deserved refreshing break promises a cool dip and sunbathing on the extensive lake terrace, e.g. with a drink in your hand. You can also treat your muscles to a massage in the spa area. While away the day in comfort after a challenging day.
Want to explore the wonderful Nockberge mountains on two wheels and spend your next summer holiday by Lake Millstatt? The 4-Sterne-Hotel am See****Die Forelle is happy to send you a non-binding offer!