E-biking & mountain biking at Lake Millstätter See
Cycling tours in Carinthia
E-biking and mountain biking are becoming increasingly popular. Of course, cycling is one of the best ways of exploring a new holiday region, and what’s more, cycling keeps you fit and is a guaranteed mood booster! For their holiday at Lake Millstätter See, cyclists may expect a large variety: From flat or slightly hilly cycling tours that run along the lake to bike tours through the Nockberge or challenging summit tours, this is a region with something for everyone. And thanks to the mild climate south of the Alps, Carinthia is open for cycling until well into October.
All the biking benefits for Forelle guests at a glance
- Covered storage for your bike at the hotel
- Wash station at the hotel
- State-of-the-art bicycles for rent at the hotel (fee applies)
- E-bike rental at the hotel (subject to availability) or in the sports outfitters in the village (fee applies)
- Trail network consisting of more than 43 routes around the hotel
- Varied routes between mountains and lakes
- Personal tips and advice from your host family
- Guided biking tours offered by Mountainbike Station Graf, just a few metres from the hotel.
- And much more!
Tips for e-bike and cycling tours
Let our choice of tours inspire you! Whether you opt for an e-bike or a mountain bike, the many routes around your hotel at Lake Millstätter See ensure variety during your holiday in Carinthia. Which one is your favourite? The leisurely route along the lake, or the more challenging trail through the Nockberge?
Millstätter See cycling path – the circular route around the lake
- Length: 29 km starting from the hotel; gravel paths on the southern shore
- Route: runs partly along the road on the northern shore, partly directly along the lake; slightly above the lake with impressive panorama on the southern shore
- Level of difficulty: intermediate on the southern shore, intermediate on the northern shore (route may be shortened by crossing over with the bicycle ferry)
Gegendtal cycling path: through the idyllic Gegendtal valley, from Lake Millstätter See to Villach
- Length: 45 km
- Connection point at Döbriach at Lake Millstätter See
- Route: runs partly alongside the road, partly on the road
- Features: beautiful, idyllic valley with traditional architecture, runs past 2 small lakes (Lake Brennsee, Lake Afritzsee)
- Difficulty: easy (downhill), but partly on the road
Drauradweg cycling path – Carinthia’s longest riverside trail
- Length: 366 km (from Italy to Slovenia)
- Connection point at Spittal an der Drau
- Route towards Villach: partially tarmacked side roads (around Spittal an der Drau), then gravelled cycling path right along the shore of the Drau river (you may travel back by train)
- Direction towards Oberdrauburg: tarmacked side roads with low traffic volume leading through idyllic villages as far as Berg im Drautal, then tarmacked and gravelled cycling path along the shore of the Drau river (you may travel back by train)
- Features: runs largely along the shore of the Drau river, particularly idyllic route
- Level of difficulty: Easy towards Villach, intermediate towards Oberdrauburg (route may be shortened by taking the train at any time)
Mountain biking in the Nockberge mountains
Mountain biking in the Nockberge mountains is a unique way of engaging with nature and of getting to know Lake Millstätter See from a particularly fascinating angle. Several different bike routes lead through the UNESCO Biosphere Park Nockberge, with gorgeous views of Lake Millstätter See. In total, you may look forward to 43 excellently prepared mountain bike tours. The Nockbike cycling map is available on site and contains detailed information on the individual tours. Alternatively, use the interactive Tourenportal Kärnten.
Top-level infrastructure for e-bikers & mountain bikers in Carinthia
The fantastic local infrastructure for e-bikers and mountain bikers will further enhance your tour. In addition to excellently signposted cycling trails, you will also find e-bike charging stations along the route, as well as possibilities for shortening your tour using bicycle-friendly ferries, not to forget the many welcoming refreshment stops around the lake where you can replenish your energy levels.
Racing bike routes over the Nockenberge mountains and through the Drau Valley
Wide, challenging routes from lake to lake. Idyllic tours through the mountains. Steep paths with challenging climbs. The surroundings around the Millstätter See can also be excellently explored by racing bike. Lonely mountain roads, lake circuits and valley crossings await racing cyclists here. On the Nockalmrunde you can enjoy the breathtaking panorama of the Nockberge and let the fresh wind blow through your hair on long descents after a demanding ascent with a gradient of up to 12%. If Lake Millstätter See alone isn't lake bliss enough, it's best to set off on a racing bike tour across Lake Weissensee. Or you can cycle along lonely mountain paths alongside the Drau Valley and find an opportunity to clear your head in the tranquility of nature. And if you are looking for a sporty challenge, cross the valley of the Drau on the Knappentour with a gradient of 18%.
Panorama tour Lake Millstätter See
- Starting point: Döbriach, follow the tarmacked road towards Glanz, Mooswald-Gschriet to Gasthof Bergfried – stunning panoramic views of Lake Millstätter See and the Nockberge National Park. Back via Brugger Hütte, towards Thurnerhof in Feld am See, Radenthein along the Riegerbach all the way back to Lake Millstätter See in Döbriach.
- Total length: 24.4 km
- Altitude difference: 550 m
- Duration: approx. 3 hours
- Level of difficulty: intermediate
- Terrain: Tarmacked road - gravel road - forest path - short trial stretch
Bike tour around the Wilder-Mann-Stein
- Starting point: Döbriach visitor information, up to Starfach and along the hiking trail to the Wilder-Mann-Stein. From there, continue towards Sappl, past the Reiterhof, towards Matzelsdorf and on towards Matzelsdorferhof. Take the turn towards Starfach. Take the same route back to your starting point (via Starfach). Refreshment points and a bike shop are available en route.
- Total length: 7.7 km
- Altitude difference: 240 m
- Duration: approx. 2 hours
- Level of difficulty: intermediate (with the exception of the first 1 km-stretch, which is very steep)
- Terrain: predominantly gravel and tarmac
Tour of the southern shore of Lake Millstätter See
- Starting point: Seeboden fishery museum, along the shore, uphill to the Peterlebauernhof farm, on towards Laggerhof, past the landing stage, uphill through the village of Glanz, downhill towards Ferndorf, past Gasthof Lagger and through the village towards Brodprenten, Egelsee, and back to Seeboden after a difficult trial stretch
- Total length: 34.1 km
- Altitude difference: 780 m
- Duration: approx. 3 hours
- Level of difficulty: intermediate
- Terrain: 50% forest paths, 50% tarmacked roads, some trial sections
Well-deserved relaxation after your bike tour
Back at the Seeglück Hotel Forelle Millstatt, the hotel beach invites you to relax. Take a dip in the lake to cool down or soak up the sun on the large lakeside terrace while enjoying a glass of homemade lemonade or a cocktail. To soothe aching muscles, opt for a massage in the spa area. Bring the day to a relaxing close after a demanding tour!
Book your cycling holiday now!
You would like to explore the wonderful Nockberge range on two wheels and spend your next summer holiday at Lake Millstätter See? We would be happy to send you a non-binding offer!