The history of Hotel am See****Die Forelle
Over 130 years of tradition in the village of Millstatt am See
Your home away from home on Lake Millstatt in Carinthia has a history that stretches back over 130 years. Today, we continue this tradition with passion and care. Our attention to detail is evident in every room and the lovingly arranged period furniture and antiques reflect the hotel's long history.
Hotel on the lake
Our fantastic location right on the shore of Lake Millstatt guarantees a holiday full of peace and relaxation. We have created a place of well-being and enjoyment on a quiet peninsula with our own fishery, exceptional regional cuisine, a stylish ambience and a modern spa with wonderful facilities and soothing treatments.
4th generation on lake
Your hosts are the Aniwanter family – Mathias, Christa and Stefanie. Mathias learned the hotel business from the ground up and now provides support for the whole team at Hotel Forelle. His wife Christa has been by his side since 1981 and is the good soul of the house. Stefanie followed in her father's footsteps and has returned to the Forelle after completing various tourism studies and gaining practical experience in top hotels. The Aniwanter family place great value on solidarity and you can feel this amongst the team, many of whom have remained loyal to the Forelle for many years.
150 years of Die Forelle Hotel by Lake Millstatt….
- 1870 Construction of the Haus Forellenheim by Franz Bacher (Fischer)
- 1910 Takeover by Franz Bacher Junior
- Marriage to daughter of the Hotel Post and management of both hotels, as a branch of the Hotel Post during the 20s and 30s
- 1950 Takeover by Gertrude Aniwanter (née Bacher)
- 1954 Construction of 2nd and 3rd floors
- 1955 Purchase by Haus Gabriele
- 1957 Expansion of Haus Seehansel
- 1958 Construction of rounded dining room
- 1959 Haus Gabriel extended to include rooms
- 1968 Redevelopment of the Haus Gabriele
- 1969 Complete demolition and rebuild of the Hotel Forelle with relaying of the terrace
- 1972 – 1983 Joint management by Gertrude Aniwanter and her son Mathias
- 1973 Construction of A la Carte dining room
- 1973 Purchase by Haus Jaritz as staff accommodation
- 1983 Takeover by Mathias Aniwanter
- 1984 Construction of the first wellness area with whirlpool and sauna
- 1986 Linking of the Haus Gabriele with the Forelle
- 1988 Expansion of the long section with addition of a balcony
- 1993 Purchase of the Haus Bachforelle as an additional branch
- 1994 Redevelopment and expansion of the Haus Jaritz (staff accommodation)
- 2003 Redevelopment and expansion of the wellness area
- 2007 Founding of the Hotel Forelle Betrieb GmbH & Co KG
- 2008 Addition of indoor swimming pool in place of outdoor pool and redesign of the bar and saloon / seminar room
- 2012 Heating system: 150m² solar power facility and 100m² photovoltaics
- 2013 Conversion of the Haus Bachforelle into 4 holiday apartments
- 2016 Takeover by Stefanie Aniwanter
- 2016/2017 Conversion of the restaurant, kitchen, lake terrace, seminar and events areas
- 2020/21 Conversion/redesign: rooms and suites
- 2020 150 years of the Die Forelle Hotel by Lake Millstatt
- 2021 Mid-March – re-opening following redevelopment
- 2021-2030 We are looking forward to reaching further milestones and will inform you of any upcoming occasions in plenty of time
Holidays at charming Lake Millstatt
Enjoy our traditional hotel in Carinthia and let the beautiful lake work its magic on you. “Feel right at home” is our motto at Hotel Forelle. Our friendly, long-standing and experienced staff are always there for you and we pour our hearts and souls into making sure you have a wonderful summer or winter holiday at our traditional hotel on the lake.